Welcome to Bluegrace Portuguese Water Dogs.
This is an ancient breed of historical significance. As an owner you have a responsibility for the future of this breed. Do you think you can do it? Challenge accepted!
Vic Govt PER #: BR102201
I will put an update on this site as soon as I think we have puppies due. If you’d like to receive my information pack as part of your education process, please feel free to touch base with me asap.
You can also find us on mewe (as many pet facebook pages are being closed down by facebook). So check us out here
Please read on so you can get all the info and instructions for how to contact us and what information you need to provide. Remember, this breed is not for everyone. It’s active. Very active! And smart.
Here are some of my dogs:
Quick note before we go any further: We only recommend positive reinforcement training to be used with our puppies. There is to be absolutely no “submission training”, no forcing a puppy to the ground for 30 mins to be growled at when it moves. We are horrified to discover that anyone could ever recommend such a process. I am sure you are smart enough to work out why this is such an abhorrent method which was wrong when it was first suggested in a backwater many years ago, and is still wrong today.
Forcing a dog to submit will neither fix aggression issues or fear issues and is more than likely to make them a lot worse.
It will take you about 5 nano seconds to find on the internet wonderful free resources to help train your dog in a positive and responsible manner, and feel free to ask me for help.
Check what training protocols any breeder of any breed recommends in the early stages before you commit to purchasing a puppy.
Note: I recently had the opportunity to meet with a dog raised with this technique listed above. It was one of the most “broken” and “confused” dogs I’d ever met. After initially wanting to rip my throat out, I was able to gain its confidence (over several days), but the next moment, it went back to wanting to rip my throat out. This dog can never be “fixed” and will have a lifetime of anguish. Its owners are lovely people and have completely refused to enact the “training” protocol described above as detailed in writing by the breeder.
Based north of Melbourne, Australia, we have been involved in this breed since 1997. There are a number of pages to explore here, and for those of you interested in getting involved with the breed, we are enthusiasts happy to meet with you, share our knowledge, and show you our dogs. And if you do visit, if you’ve been able to read through all or most of this website, that will give us a big step up on our discussions.
Our puppies shortly after birth:
You’ll be taking advantage of our extensive experience in the breed to determine what is going to best suit you over the long term, not just the one “with cute white feet” because that will impress your friends (Pro tip: white bits knot/matt a whole lot easier and always show the dirt – so you’d better be ready for a whole lot more grooming). And there will be no selection of puppies based on someone sitting down amongst pups and waiting for the pup to “choose them”. I am quite disturbed that not only do people think this is a correct way to select a puppy, but that breeders allow this.
(If this doesn’t make sense, think of the game “spin the bottle”. Based on complete randomness plus probably some alcohol, you then get your life partner chosen for you! If this sounds silly, then you’ll easily agree that a whole lot of thought and experience and discussion takes place to determine the appropriate puppy for you.)
Both our litters earlier from last year were fully reserved before they were born.
Say hi to this cute little guy. This was taken about 20 mins after he was born, who went to a home with another of our Portuguese Water Dogs. He’s fantastic and a real water baby.
I would highly recommend you touch base shortly so that we can work together to see if I am the right breeder for you and if I think you can handle this very energetic and messy breed.
Our pups are $3000 We do not release the pups until 12 weeks of age, and that price includes both the C3 and C5 vaccination at the appropriate time, chips, and desexing. Our pups are not available undesexed unless you are intending to show the dog or are running it on for me as a potential breeding dog (which is really rare).
They will be very energetic & messy working dogs, suitable for people who can and will dedicate the time to training who want an amazing dog, and who know that you get this by doing a lot of work, rather than a magic wand.
Email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org letting me know a bit about you and we can go from there.
Visiting me: Because of my work, plus family commitments, plus training for my 9th ironman, the times to visit me are limited (and I have 4 IM’s scheduled for 2019/2020). Allow a 2 hour each way trip if you’re from Melbourne. We are north, on the way to Echuca. Allow 45 mins to visit us. And don’t bring “extras”. I want to focus on you and your questions – not your friend or relative that would just like a day out in the country. (There’s some great bakeries in Heathcote, and it’s a lovely town – you can drop them off there on your way through if they insist on coming.) Please wear old clothes and a hat, and there will be walking involved. Depending on my training schedule I may have availability mid week, plus some weekend possible dates including:
- 10.30am and 11.30am most Saturday mornings (particularly important to do it early in the morning to avoid summer heat issues)
- 2pm on Sundays – although definitely not if the weather is going to be above 30 degrees. (sorry I have work Sunday mornings and training)
- weekdays at 10.30am (except Tuesday which is my biggest training day of the week, unless you want to come out for a 4-6 hour ride with me! and then the run afterwards)
(please think about what time you call me. If it’s an emergency, please call at any time. In the last event I did, someone rang and texted me before 9am on a Saturday morning to talk about pups. I lost my first place podium position because I thought it was an emergency call from work. You can imagine my reaction.)
If you have allergies, you must visit, no exceptions
Things that are important you let me know about (and check the vid beneath this list):
- previous dog experience if any
- who is in the household and ages of kids if any
- if there are any allergies we need to be aware of
- who will be responsible for the pup
- your leadership style with your kids (eg: anything goes, they get to make the decisions, we’re the adults we make the call, we have a strict management style)
- would you be going to dog obedience classes
- whose dog would it be
- what time would you be able to dedicate on a daily or weekly basis to training, education, setting guidelines for the dog
- whether your intention is to train early or wait until the pup is a lot older
- what research you’ve done on the breed
- who else you’re contacting about pups
- where the pup would be sleeping
- how long the pup would be left alone each day
- which dog training class would you be going to
- what attributes you like about the breed
- what attributes you don’t like about the breed
- what you want in a puppy
- what you don’t want in a puppy
- If you’d like a pup to breed
There are no right or wrong answers. Ok, yes there are. Sometimes people call me and tell me they have thoroughly read through the site and researched the breed, and then answer those questions above in a way that I think there’s a difference between reading this website and taking the information on board.
My quest is to ensure as much as possible that you will be a good fit for this breed. That you will put the time and energy into it. That this is not just a pup that will be dumped in the back yard once you’re sick of it. That you will put in the training. That you can cope with the energy. That you will not dump the dog for someone else to sort out because you haven’t put the required amount of work in early.
Check out these cute pics below. Here’s some neat little tips about the breed, and some insight into what I’m looking for you to think about and the information to provide to me. (I should note that even though I’ve stated all this info, and even produced these tips, people still email me, telling me they’ve read all of this, give me 3 short sentences about themselves and ask “so what else do you need to know?”)
Feel free to call me on 0412 113824 to discuss on week days (feel free to join me on weekends if you’d like to help me with ironman training) if one of these enthusiastic, zest of life characters are the right dog for you. We welcome you visiting our location and meeting all our dogs and seeing the Portuguese Water Dog in working action.
(Tip: weekends are always popular for visits, with more flexibility for us on weekdays. If driving from Melbourne, allow 2 hours. If you are late for an appointment, because we have them set back to back, it’s likely we will get you to reschedule, so that you don’t impact the next visitors. We have to be time freaks because of our completely full schedule for my day to day job. )
Is this breed right for you:
- having a new pup is like having a new child. Do you have the time & the inclination for training?
- are you prepared to pinky-swear that you and your partner will do all the necessary training, and your kids (if you have any) will not be expected to be responsible for the dog?
- is your partner as enthusiastic about a dog as you are? (we have said “sorry this won’t work” to several people over the years where the partner was clearly not wanting a dog, and sometimes even downright rude to us, and sometimes completely inappropriate with the dogs)
- untrained dogs of any breed will quickly become a nuisance. In this breed, like most others, untrained dog behaviour will result in fence jumping, jumping up on people, nipping, digging holes, ruining furniture, endless barking, failure to recall, etc, etc, etc
- if you put the right amount of time and commitment into training early you will have a fantastic dog and everyone will compliment you and wish they had your dog
- if you don’t put in the training in the first 6 months, there is little you can do later to correct the situation. Your breeder nor any trainer does not have a magic wand to fix your dog’s lack of training and subsequent poor behaviours. And it will cost you thousands of dollars and endless hours work later on if your dog has developed a range of inappropriate behaviours.
- if you are having trouble sorting out a time to visit because weekend activities are too much, then it’s probably likely that this is not the right time to get a puppy
- just because now isn’t the right time, doesn’t mean that 2-3 years down the track might not be a good time. Just wait until things are more settled in your life, so that you don’t over-commit yourself.
Check out one of our many videos we’ve got of our puppies
Today’s training tip: Regardless of the breed of dog, the earlier you start training your puppy, the easier it is. Conversely, the longer you leave it to start training, the harder, longer, and more expensive it is to get results. And sometimes you can’t change those bad behaviours you’ve unfortunately let develop. And there is no magic wand to fix a dog’s bad behaviours.
(if you are viewing this site on a mobile device, the icon at the top left hand corner will allow you to see the full menu choices.)
Our new stud dog from Europe has arrived has now completed his health testing with his hips & elbows being great, and having passed his other required genetic testing. Both of our other stud dogs have similar excellent results in both hip/elbows and available genetic tests. All dogs have been in the show ring, with some attaining multiple championships, whilst others continue in their quest to achieve theirs. All our girls have been shown in the show ring and we are very choosy about who stays in our breeding program.
The Portuguese Water Dog is: intelligent, non-shedding, hypo-allergenic, and medium sized working dog…. just like a life partner should be.
Please contact Dogs Victoria on email: email@example.com to verify my membership