Welcome to Bluegrace Portuguese Water Dogs.
Based near Melbourne, Australia, we have been involved in this breed since 1997. There are a number of pages to explore here, and for those of you interested in getting involved with the breed, we are enthusiasts happy to meet with you, share our knowledge, and show you our dogs. And if you do visit, if you’ve been able to read through all or most of this website, that will give us a big step up on our discussions.
Yes we do have puppies now. These are the first puppies out of a magnificent European dog recently imported to Australia. He is best defined by his wonderful temperament, his energy, and gorgeous conformation. We have both brown and black puppies available to homes that are looking for a working dog temperament.
These will not be available until early Feb. They will be very energetic working dogs, suitable for people who can and will dedicate the time to training who want an amazing dog, and who know that you get this by doing a lot of work, rather than a magic wand.
Email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org letting me know a bit about you and we can go from there.
Feel free to call me on 0412 113824 to discuss if one of these enthusiastic, zest of life characters are the right dog for you. We welcome you visiting our location and meeting all our dogs and seeing the Portuguese Water Dog in working action.
Is this breed right for you:
- having a new pup is like having a new child. Do you have the time & the inclination for training?
- are you prepared to pinky-swear that you and your partner will do all the necessary training, and your kids (if you have any) will not be expected to be responsible for the dog?
- is your partner as enthusiastic about a dog as you are? (we have said “sorry this won’t work” to several people over the years where the partner was clearly not wanting a dog, and sometimes even downright rude to us, and sometimes completely inappropriate with the dogs)
- untrained dogs of any breed will quickly become a nuisance. In this breed, like most others, untrained dog behaviour will result in fence jumping, jumping up on people, nipping, digging holes, ruining furniture, endless barking, failure to recall, etc, etc, etc
- if you put the right amount of time and commitment into training early you will have a fantastic dog and everyone will compliment you and wish they had your dog
- if you don’t put in the training in the first 6 months, there is little you can do later to correct the situation. Your breeder nor any trainer does not have a magic wand to fix your dog’s lack of training and subsequent poor behaviours. And it will cost you thousands of dollars and endless hours work later on if your dog has developed a range of inappropriate behaviours.
- if you are having trouble sorting out a time to visit because weekend activities are too much, then it’s probably likely that this is not the right time to get a puppy
- just because now isn’t the right time, doesn’t mean that 2-3 years down the track might not be a good time. Just wait until things are more settled in your life, so that you don’t over-commit yourself.
Check out the latest video of the pups we have available:
Today’s training tip: Regardless of the breed of dog, the earlier you start training your puppy, the easier it is. Conversely, the longer you leave it to start training, the harder, longer, and more expensive it is to get results. And sometimes you can’t change those bad behaviours you’ve unfortunately let develop. And there is no magic wand to fix a dog’s bad behaviours.
(if you are viewing this site on a mobile device, the icon at the top left hand corner will allow you to see the full menu choices.)
Our new stud dog from Europe has arrived has now completed his health testing with his hips & elbows being great, and having passed his other required genetic testing. Both of our other stud dogs have similar excellent results in both hip/elbows and available genetic tests. All dogs have been in the show ring, with some attaining multiple championships, whilst others continue in their quest to achieve theirs. All our girls have been shown in the show ring and we are very choosy about who stays in our breeding program.
The Portuguese Water Dog is: intelligent, non-shedding, hypo-allergenic, and medium sized working dog…. just like a life partner should be.